Newport News, VA 23602
The Strength and Conditioning Coach Intern provides knowledge, guidance, and training in the area of strength training and physical conditioning for all athletes under the direct and day-to-day supervision of the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach. The Strength and Conditioning Coach Intern will be responsible for assisting with coordinating the day-to-day operations and programs within the fitness facility.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide athletes with guidance and proper training techniques in the strength and conditioning programs
- Aide in the development of in-season and out-of-season strength and conditioning programs for athletes.
- Lead and motivate athletes to maximize their potential.
- Analyze physical performance testing.
- Maintain up-to-date records on the strength program of each team and specific individual workouts of every student-athlete.
- Provide general guidelines for nutrition, recovery, and general health practices.
- Ensure the physical, emotional, and social welfare of student-athletes.
- Establish and ensure a safe environment for student-athletes.
- Remain current on all trends, methods, and innovations related to strength and conditioning.
- Knowledge of Motion Analysis software preferred but not necessary.
- Enforce weight room policies.
- Be present and punctual for all workouts with athletes (Any change in a scheduled workout must be approved by the head coach of each sport.)
- Understand and agree to abide by the mission and values of Shockwave Strength and Performance.
- Attend staff meetings as required.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications and computer use.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work a flexible work schedule.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or final year in pursuit of Bachelor’s Degree in the field of Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Coaching, or a related field.
- Previous experience working with athletes in a strength and conditioning program preferred.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certification preferred.
Disclaimer:The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These statements are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the personnel so classified.